File Your Taxes Online for Free
Ladder Up has partnered with the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax to offer a free online option for filing your tax return.
Do I Qualify?
You qualify to use the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax if you:
- Qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) (see guidelines), OR
- Had an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $36,000 or less, OR
- Were Active Duty Military in 2019 with an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $69,000 or less
Another resource that might be helpful for some taxpayers is the United Way’s MyFreeTaxes website, which gives you free access to H&R Block software. Please note that MyFreeTaxes.com is not a free resource for taxpayers who have business income (including self-employment income, which includes rideshare drivers), capital gains and losses, or income from rental property, as taxpayers who need to file Schedules C, D, or E will be charged on the MyFreeTaxes.com website.
Please note that you can file the state return for any state using the IRS Free File Program delivered by either TurboTax or H&R Block.
The IRS has a helpful lookup tool for Free File so you can identify the best provider for you: Free File Online Lookup Tool
If you have a complicated family situation, are self-employed, are unsure of what a particular tax form is, or have unusual tax situations such as sale of stock or cancellation of non-business credit card debt, we encourage you to seek in-person assistance at one of our tax site locations.
Before sitting down to complete your tax return, make sure you have all of your documents ready and with you:
- Names, Dates of Birth, Social Security Numbers or ITINS, and relationship for anyone you plan to claim on your tax return
- Routing and account numbers for your savings account, checking account, and/or prepaid card
- 1095-A if you purchased your insurance coverage through the marketplace (you must include this in your return if you received it, or your tax return will not be accepted)
Year-End Income Documents
- W-2s from all of your jobs
- SSA-1099 for any Social Security benefits
- 1099-Rs from retirement plan distributions
- 1099-Gs for unemployment compensation
- 1099-INTs and/or interest income received
- 1099-DIVs for dividend income received
- 1099-MISC for any miscellaneous income including for self-employment income (such as driving for Lyft/Uber)
- Other income received such as gambling winnings, alimony, stock sales, and interest received that was not reported on an end-of-year form
Expenses and Credits
- Record of educational expenses you paid for children in grades K-12
- Tuition expenses paid for you or your child to attend college or university (Form 1098-T)
- Student loan interest paid (Form 1098-E)
- Childcare expenses: Provider name, address, and tax ID or Social Security number
- Homeowners: Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid
- Form 1095-A if you purchased your insurance coverage through the Marketplace
- Educator expenses – amount paid out of pocket by educators
- Self-employment expenses if you had a business during the year
Ready to start?
If your household does not meet the TurboTax eligibility criteria (qualified for the Earned Income Tax Credit and/or making up to $33,000 in annual income), you can use H&R Block’s MyFreeTaxes website instead (for households earning up to $66,000 annually): https://www.myfreetaxes.com/