File Taxes Online for Free

File Your Taxes Online for Free

Ladder Up has partnered with the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax to offer a free online option for filing your tax return.

Do I Qualify?

You qualify to use the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax if you:

  • Qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) (see guidelines), OR
  • Had an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $36,000 or less, OR
  • Were Active Duty Military in 2019 with an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $69,000 or less

Another resource that might be helpful for some taxpayers is the United Way’s MyFreeTaxes website, which gives you free access to H&R Block software. Please note that is not a free resource for taxpayers who have business income (including self-employment income, which includes rideshare drivers), capital gains and losses, or income from rental property, as taxpayers who need to file Schedules C, D, or E will be charged on the website.

Please note that you can file the state return for any state using the IRS Free File Program delivered by either TurboTax or H&R Block.

The IRS has a helpful lookup tool for Free File so you can identify the best provider for you: Free File Online Lookup Tool

If you have a complicated family situation, are self-employed, are unsure of what a particular tax form is, or have unusual tax situations such as sale of stock or cancellation of non-business credit card debt, we encourage you to seek in-person assistance at one of our tax site locations.

Get Ready

Before sitting down to complete your tax return, make sure you have all of your documents ready and with you:

Personal Information

  • Names, Dates of Birth, Social Security Numbers or ITINS, and relationship for anyone you plan to claim on your tax return
  • Routing and account numbers for your savings account, checking account, and/or prepaid card
  • 1095-A if you purchased your insurance coverage through the marketplace (you must include this in your return if you received it, or your tax return will not be accepted)

Year-End Income Documents

  • W-2s from all of your jobs
  • SSA-1099 for any Social Security benefits
  • 1099-Rs from retirement plan distributions
  • 1099-Gs for unemployment compensation
  • 1099-INTs and/or interest income received
  • 1099-DIVs for dividend income received
  • 1099-MISC for any miscellaneous income including for self-employment income (such as driving for Lyft/Uber)
  • Other income received such as gambling winnings, alimony, stock sales, and interest received that was not reported on an end-of-year form

Expenses and Credits

  • Record of educational expenses you paid for children in grades K-12
  • Tuition expenses paid for you or your child to attend college or university (Form 1098-T)
  • Student loan interest paid (Form 1098-E)
  • Childcare expenses: Provider name, address, and tax ID or Social Security number
  • Homeowners: Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid
  • Form 1095-A if you purchased your insurance coverage through the Marketplace
  • Educator expenses – amount paid out of pocket by educators
  • Self-employment expenses if you had a business during the year

Ready to start?

Click here and fill out this form to access Intuit’s TurboTax.

If your household does not meet the TurboTax eligibility criteria (qualified for the Earned Income Tax Credit and/or making up to $33,000 in annual income), you can use H&R Block’s MyFreeTaxes website instead (for households earning up to $66,000 annually):