File Taxes Online for Free

Coming Soon! This feature is not LIVE yet.  Please check back later.

IRS Free File Program

Ladder Up has partnered with the IRS Free File Program delivered by TaxSlayer to offer a free online option for filing your tax return.

Please note that you can file the federal return and the state return for any state using the IRS Free File Program.

Do I Qualify?


You qualify to use the IRS Free File Program delivered by TaxSlayer if you:

  • Qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) (see guidelines), OR
  • Had an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $39,000 or less, OR
  • Were Active Duty Military in 2020 with an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $72,000 or less

To access the IRS Free File Program delivered by TaxSlayer, please click on the following link to be taken to a short intake form that will then take you to TaxSlayer: TaxSlayer Intake Form


Another resource that might be helpful for some taxpayers is the United Way’s MyFreeTaxes website, which gives you free access to H&R Block software. Please note that is not a free resource for taxpayers who have business income (including self-employment income, which includes rideshare drivers), capital gains and losses, or income from rental property, as taxpayers who need to file Schedules C, D, or E will be charged on the website.

Other Free File Options

The IRS has a helpful lookup tool for Free File so you can identify the best provider for you: Free File Online Lookup Tool

At this time online products are only available in English. If someone in your household can help you translate from English, you can use either software. If you need to prepare your taxes in Spanish, we recommend you use

Por el momento, TurboTax y H&R Block solo están disponibles en inglés. Si alguien en su hogar puede ayudarle a traducir el inglés, puede usar cualquier programa. Si necesita preparar sus impuestos en español, le recomendamos que use

If you have a complicated family situation, are self-employed, are unsure of what a particular tax form is, or have unusual tax situations such as sale of stock or cancellation of non-business credit card debt, please call our hotline at 312-409-1555 or e-mail Please exercise patience, as we are experiencing higher-than-usual call volume.

Get Ready

Before sitting down to complete your tax return, make sure you have all of your documents ready and with you:

Personal Information

  • Names, Dates of Birth, Social Security Numbers or ITINs, and relationship for anyone you plan to claim on your tax return
  • Routing and account numbers for your savings account, checking account, and/or prepaid card
  • 1095-A if you purchased your insurance coverage through the marketplace (you must include this in your return if you received it, or your tax return will not be accepted)

Year-End Income Documents

  • W-2s from all of your jobs
  • SSA-1099 for any Social Security benefits
  • 1099-Rs from retirement plan distributions
  • 1099-Gs for unemployment compensation
  • 1099-INTs and/or interest income received
  • 1099-DIVs for dividend income received
  • 1099-MISC for any miscellaneous income including for self-employment income (such as driving for Lyft/Uber)
  • 1099-NEC
  • Other income received such as gambling winnings, alimony, stock sales, and interest received that was not reported on an end-of-year form

Expenses and Credits

  • Record of educational expenses you paid for children in grades K-12
  • Tuition expenses paid for you or your child to attend college or university (Form 1098-T)
  • Student loan interest paid (Form 1098-E)
  • Childcare expenses: Provider name, address, and tax ID or Social Security number
  • Homeowners: Mortgage interest and real estate taxes paid
  • Form 1095-A if you purchased your insurance coverage through the Marketplace
  • Educator expenses – amount paid out of pocket by educators
  • Self-employment expenses if you had a business during the year

Ready to start?

If your household does not meet the TaxSlayer eligibility criteria (qualified for the Earned Income Tax Credit and/or making up to $39,000 in adjusted gross income), you can use United Way’s MyFreeTaxes website instead (for households earning up to $69,000 annually) or look up a Free File provider on the IRS website: Free File Online Lookup Tool

To access the 2021 TaxSlayer, fill out the short survey by clicking the button below.