FREE TAX SERVICES
- Check if you’re eligible for free tax services by reviewing the Eligibility Requirements section below.
- View our locations and select the TAP site that is most convenient for you. Check the hours of operation, and plan your visit!
- Bring your tax documents and personal identification. Please review What to Bring to make sure you have all documentation needed at the TAP site.
- At the TAP site, you’ll first meet with an intake volunteer who will review your documents and confirm that you are eligible for the service.
- Once you complete the intake process, you will work with a trained volunteer tax preparer who will prepare your tax return for FREE.
- Review and sign your taxes. We will file your taxes electronically or as paper file.
LADDER UP SERVICES
- FREE Preparation of Federal and State Income Tax Returns
- MUST be a full-year resident of the State of Illinois (Ladder Up does NOT prepare other states, military personnel, and/or partial-year residents).
- Electronic tax filing for years 2019-2022 tax returns
- Preparation and amendments for previous years done during the off-season (June – September)
- New and Renewal ITIN application (Note: MUST schedule an appointment)
- Families and individuals earning up to $60,000 per year
- Taxpayers filing a joint tax return (married) must BOTH be present
Ladder Up CANNOT prepare or amend returns for clients in the following situations:
- Military Personnel
- Income from rental property
- Receive Form 1099-A (Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property)
- Receive Form 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt)
- Clients who are in bankruptcy
- Kiddie Tax (Scholarships are higher than the billed amount from the institution)
If you own your own business, Ladder Up CANNOT prepare your return if you:
- Business expenses of more than $35,000
- Kept inventory at any time during the tax year
- Net loss from the business
- Paid employees during the year
- Required to file Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization)
- Deduct expenses for business use of your home
The complete ineligibility list Ladder Up cannot prepare is available here.
You can also prepare and file your own taxes using IRS Free File: goladderup.org/freefile
WHAT TO BRING
- Original Social Security card (or ITIN card/letter) for ALL individuals that appear on your tax return
- Government Photo ID
- Income documents
- W-2 Forms (TAP will not accept payment stubs)
- Form 1099-NEC/K/MISC (Self-employment)
- Form 1099-G (Unemployment)
- Form SSA-1099 Social Security and/or 1099-R Pension Distribution
- Itemize and Expense Receipts
- Mortgage and Property Tax Statement (Form 1098)
- College Tuition and Expenses (Form 1098-T)
- Student Loan Interest (Form 1098-E)
- Job-related Expenses (self-employed)
- Childcare Expenses (EIN required)
- Rideshare Summary Breakdown (Uber/Lyft)
UBER OR LYFT
Uber and Lyft tax summaries are available through online driver profiles. Click to Access Uber or Lyft Records.
ITIN INFORMATION – BY APPOINTMENT ONLY